Fat bikes are the bikes that you have seen on the trails with the chunky, thick tires.
They are a fantastic pick for someone who spends a lot of their time on trails riding, especially on rockier terrains.
The extra grip and balance you get with these thicker tires make it perfect for traversing any ground, in any weather.
They are also a fantastic option for boosting fitness, as generally, the body recovers more quickly after riding a fat bike for an hour as opposed to a typical mountain bike.
Sounds awesome, right?
Now, you’re probably wondering how to get your hands on one of these impressive pieces of mechanics.
Look no further because we have decided to fully dedicate this article to telling you all about the best fat bikes for under $1000.
Each bike we picked out will have a review, as well as a list of pros and cons so you can see exactly what to expect with each model.
We have also picked out the very best of the lot as our Top Pick, too, reassuring you that that is the best money can buy. If this sounds like the article for you then keep on reading.
Keen to get out on the trails? Maybe you just don’t have the time to read the full article. Why not check out our top pick now? We absolutely loved the Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mountain Bike, here’s why:
- The durable steel frame ensures the bike is long-lasting, even with years of constant use as long as you upkeep it well
- The assembly of this model is easy, ensuring as soon as you get the bike, you can be out there on the mountains riding to your heart’s content
- The bike can be easily adjusted to suit most heights
- The fat tires have excellent traction and work well with the 7 speed gear shifts to ensure all terrains can be handled with ease.
Don’t just take out words for it though, buy it for yourself to see how wonderful it is!
OUR TOP PICK
The first pick for us absolutely has to be the Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mountain Bike.
This is the perfect choice for all off-road terrains as it can ride easily over dirt, mud, and rocks.
The tires on this one are super-sized, with knobby treads on them for extra traction. The bike itself is made from an extremely durable steel frame.
When the bike ships out to you it will be all ready for you to assemble, and the company promises straightforward assembly for its customers.
The bike features a threadless headset that is adjustable. This ensures that the bike can be made suitable for most riders, no matter their height. In fact, it can fit riders up to 6 feet tall, with a recommended minimum of 5 feet 6 inches.
Another feature we really liked about this bike is the fact that the manufacturer uses lightweight alloy rims in the wheels.
What this does is keep the overall bike weight down (which is especially important when considering the steel frame as they are often heavy), ensuring the rider gets excellent speed and performance each time they use it.
To ensure gear changing is smooth for users the bike features twist shifters.
As well as this it also has a rear derailleur with 7 speeds in total, which makes climbing hills on your bike a breeze.
- You get a wonderful quality product for a good value price
- The bike stands up to all terrains with ease
- It handles inclines well
- If instructions are followed correctly, assembly is easy
- The disc brakes ensure excellent stopping power with precision
- Even with the steel frame which can be slightly heavier than its aluminum counterparts, the bike can still reach impressive speeds
- The fact that the bike frame is steel may put off users who have been used to more lightweight bikes before, made of aluminum, for example.
A worthy contender by the same brand as our Top Pick, Mongoose, is their Legion Freestyle BMX Bike Line.
Now, it is worth noting here that this model is suitable for the shorter riders among us, up to 5 feet 4 inches in total. This makes it perfect for those younger beginner riders looking to try out a Fat Bike.
Some users who are taller than 5 feet 4 have mentioned that they have even made the handlebars higher up, so they can carry on using the bike as they liked it so much.
Mongoose’s Steel Frames make for a very durable model, promising strength and power each time you ride.
This model has a drivetrain that features 170mm forged steel cranks, as well as an alloy chainring and American loose ball bottom bracket. It also has removable brake mounts.
The cranks are super strong, so riders need not worry about breaking them whilst doing stunts. All of this means that it will be the perfect model of choice for those BMXers among us.
To help BMX enthusiasts even further, the bike also features aluminum U-brakes and brake levers. This ensures that you have a very precise speed control.
Partner this with the fact that the Hi-Ten steel handlebar and fork connect to the sealed integrated headset, and you will be well on your way to high-quality performance.
The features also ensure that your steering is at the best it can be.
- The best choice for BMX enthusiasts
- High-quality steering performance
- Good for shorter riders or younger beginners
- Can easily be adapted to suit taller riders
- It comes ready to be assembled
- Some customers who may be looking for a bike with a larger frame should not choose this as it is better suited to shorter people, even with adjustments. You should also bear in mind that it is designed for BMX riding.
This model looks like a traditional cycle at first, but then you see the fantastically fat tires and your first thought is wow.
The sixthreezero Fat Tire bike is a class hybrid cruiser, making it suitable for around-town travel, as well as being hardy enough for some all-terrain riding, whether that be on trails, up in the mountains, on the sand, and even snow.
The treads are also slick enough for sidewalks too.
The bike has seven speeds as well as front and rear disc brakes to ensure that you get the necessary amount of stopping power for your braking, even in rocky terrains and unfamiliar paths.
It can even cope with steep inclines easily due to the speed choices.
The riding position is comfortable, and it has forward pedaling for extra ease.
- A great hybrid model that can suit trails as well as sidewalk riding, and even sand
- A traditional style cycle with gorgeous blue paint and a brown seat
- It provides a comfortable ride for commutes due to its ergonomic design
- The bike can be easily adjusted, and customers ranging from 5 feet 2 to 6 feet in height have been very happy with it
- Easy assembly of the bike
- Even though it is durable, it may not be the best choice for someone looking for a mountain bike alone - this hybrid bike is designed for a mixture of city and trail riding
You may well be sensing a theme at this point - what can we say, Mongoose are a fantastic brand! This particular model is one of their popular mountain bike styles.
As with most of Mongoose’s bikes, this one features a steel frame for extra durability.
There is a rear derailleur to ensure great changes are kept smooth and easy. The wide, fat tires are suitable for all terrains, rolling with ease over anything that is in their path.
To keep the overall weight of the bike down it features lightweight alloy rims.
Of course, brake safety is an important consideration to make, and this model promises crisp stopping and precise speed control due to its disc brakes which are at both front and rear on the bike.
- The tires can handle sand, dirt, rocks, and even snow with ease
- It is practical as well as looking good due to its seven speed options, enabling you to traverse flats and slopes without any struggle
- Heavy duty, durable model that promises longevity of the bike
- It suits those with heavier body weight, as well as being great for tall people
- It is not as high-quality as other models by this brand, as some customers have commented on parts of the bike being easily damaged
The first point we want to make on this bike is that the listing also features a 20” kids bike. Be sure to choose the right option when shopping for this bike.
The model we are reviewing is of course the Men’s Dynacraft Fat Tire Bike…. And when it says ‘fat tires’, boy does this one mean it!
The super fat stomper tires can traverse over most terrains with ease. Although it is worth bearing in mind that this bike only has one speed.
There are no gears on this that can be changed. However, as a beginner’s bike, it is a great choice.
This may be best suited for teenagers who may be just starting out on their biking journeys and looking for their first fat tire experience.
It has rear coaster brakes, mountain bike style handlebars, and an adjustable seat.
- A simple but powerful bike
- The excellent thickness on the tires can traverse all terrains
- Durable steel frame
- Perfect for beginners who have never used a fat tire bike before
- The single speed bike has no gears which will not be ideal for most experienced riders
The last Mongoose model on our list is yet another worthy runner up.
Their Hitch All-Terrain Fat Tire Mountain Bike is perfect if you like to take your mountain bike experience with you wherever you go.
It can traverse snow, sand, mud, dirt, rocks, and just about any other surface you can imagine.
The bike also features seven speeds, gained through the changing of the gears. This makes it suitable for inclines, too, as we know not all terrains are flat!
The frame is super-sized and is in the beach cruiser style, promising the rider comfort.
As with the other Mongoose bikes on our list, this one is also steel, making it super durable, but a little heavier than the aluminum bike frames that you can get from other brands.
That being said, the bike does use lightweight alloy rims and other parts to ensure the weight is kept to a minimum.
- Great for the rider who likes to bike wherever they can due to it traversing all terrains with ease
- Durable steel bike frame to ensure the bike lasts as long as possible
- Comfortable bike due to the beach cruiser style frame
- Another good choice for a beginner to fat tires
- The assembly of the bike is a little tough, and some customers have reported having parts missing
This electric bike can be used manually too if preferred, giving you a choice to pick and choose to suit your needs. This model is perfect for kids, or short adults who prefer smaller framed bikes.
The fat tires allow for maximum traction making it a good choice for beginners who want to try out riding on different terrains.
The bike features Shimano gear shifting, with a total of seven speeds, further assisting you on the terrains of your choice and allowing you to take inclines with ease.
The aluminum frame is lightweight, too, meaning it can easily be transported. The removable battery takes just 5 hours to charge but promises many hours of fun afterward.
It has dual disc brakes for safety, ensuring powerful and precise stopping.
- The battery pack can be removed to use the bike electrically or manually
- It can handle different terrains because of the thick, fat tires
- It has a lightweight frame
- Quick 5 hour charge time
- Some people may not find it powerful enough for steep inclines and may need to pedal along with it
Yet another electric bike has entered our list (see, we told you there was an array of choice to be had).
Speedrid’s Fat Tire Electric Bike has a large capacity battery to help you reach speeds up to 23 MpH, as well as giving you the ability to pedal manually if you choose to.
It is a great choice for those who want to partake in off-road biking but may need a little boost of electrical power to help them along.
It features double layer aluminum for the wheel rims, making it lightweight, and a carbon steel front fork for maximum durability and shock absorption.
There is a mechanical front and back brake design, and a seven speed transmission system.
- Good for off-road biking for those who may need an extra push of power t help them along
- 5 levels of pedal assist
- Ability to manually pedal or convert fully to electric powered
- Large capacity battery for maximum speed
- Parts are quite tough to find should you need to replace anything on the bike.
This Mountain Bike by Outroad features fat tires for extra traction, making it perfect for traversing even the most unfamiliar terrains.
It can take mud, dirt, rocky surfaces, and even snow with ease.
There are 21 speeds to choose from on this model, making it ideal for someone who is well experienced in the trials and tribulations of biking in the mountains.
The brakes are precise and powerful, giving you excellent control thanks to the disc brakes.
It is a unisex bike, suitable for those between the heights of 5 feet 5 inches and 6 feet 2 inches. This is due to its easily adjustable bars and seat.
The frame is made from high-quality carbon steel to make sure the bike is durable on different road types. It has excellent shock absorption too.
Assembly is easy, promising to take no more than 40 minutes.
- Great for experienced riders looking for an upgrade to fat tires
- The 21 speeds enable you to take all terrains and inclines with ease
- Unisex and easily adjustable for all heights
- Hardwearing high carbon steel for excellent durability
- Some customers have stated that the quality of the material is not great, having arrived damaged which makes overall assembly difficult
The last bike we wanted to discuss (but certainly not the least) is the Bright GG Ebike.
The model can switch easily from manual pedals to being powered by the electric battery pack that comes with it.
This makes it perfect to help out those riders that need a little extra push on inclines, especially those with mobility issues.
The bike is made from high strength carbon steel, promising durability even with long term use.
With one charge you can ride up to 55 miles, making it a good choice for those riders who like long rides on the weekend.
If you don’t want the bike to run fully electrically, you can set it to just give you pedal support.
Or, of course, there is the option to go it alone manually, knowing you have the battery for backup if you start to feel tired.
- It has the option to be ridden manually, with pedal support, or fully electrically making it suitable for all abilities
- You can ride an impressive 55 miles on one single charge
- It is made from durable carbon steel
- The seat is uncomfortable, meaning that many customers have wanted to replace it themselves
- The pedal assist is difficult to master
When it comes to fat bikes under $1000, we are sure that you can see what a wonderful array of choices you have.
Whether you prefer a mountain bike, a more traditional hybrid cycle, or even an electric bike, there is truly something to suit everyone.
No matter your physical ability, fat tire bikes can be suited to just about anyone’s needs. With a budget of $1000, you will be able to find yourself a wonderful little bike, and we are sure that you already have your eyes on a few from our list!
Don’t just take our word for it though, all of these models we have listed are sure to amaze you, so why not do some online shopping and treat yourself to your dream Fat Tire Bike.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article on Best Fat Tire Bikes Under $1000, we really hope you have found the perfect one for you!