Biking is one of life’s greatest joys. Not only is it an activity that will get you fit and healthy, but it can also be one of the most exhilarating forms of escapism, especially if you are mountain biking.
When thinking of mountain bikes you would be forgiven for believing that there is one type, and it’s a sort of one-size-fits-all kind of deal. However, when it comes to these bikes, there are so many options and considerations to make.
It can be quite overwhelming if you are purchasing your first ever mountain bike due to the unfamiliar words that you could get bombarded with about frames, and brakes, and tires.
To help you with this we have decided to compile a list of all of our Top Picks for the Best Mountain Bikes for under $700. For each mountain bike that we recommend, we are going to give you a review of it too, so you know exactly what to expect from it, and what others thought of it, too.
So without further ado, we will get right into it because there are a lot of bikes to get through!
In a hurry? Check out our top pick
The Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike is our favorite choice when it comes to Best Mountain Bikes Under $700. Here’s why:
- Excellent quality steel frame to ensure it is durable enough to withstand the trials and tribulations of mountain biking
- The thick, fat tires have great traction meaning any terrain will be handled with ease by your bike, whether that be rocks, dirt, mud, and even snow
- Easy to assemble the bike upon arrival
- Great power and control when shifting gears and the brakes allow for excellent precision
OUR TOP PICK
The first mountain bike on our list just had to be the Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike. it has had some excellent reviews on Amazon and upon closer inspection, it is easy to see why.
This is the perfect choice for off-road trails, allowing you to tackle them with ease thanks to the sturdy steel framed bike.
The tires are knobbly, meaning they can smoothly glide over just about any terrains imaginable - rocks will not hinder this bike!
It is suitable for city riding as well as terrain riding, and can even withstand harsh road conditions such as snow due to the tires being fat, knobbly, and sturdy.
The bike has a threadless headset that is adjustable, enabling it to suit bikers of any height.
To help enhance speed and performance, the alloy rims of the bike are strong but lightweight to keep the overall weight down, helping to streamline your ride downhill, and giving you the power to go up.
The mountain bike has beach cruiser pedals to ensure comfort. This is an important factor that we think is often forgotten about, but with the distance and time that mountain biking takes up, comfort needs to be a key consideration.
Another important consideration to make is safety. To ensure safety the bike has front and rear disc brakes, as well as having smooth, easy to use twist shifters so that you can change gears with ease.
The Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike also has a rear derailleur with seven speeds. This means that hill climbing will be far easier on your body, and it will be an easy transition for you to make.
- An excellent quality bike for a great price gives you good value for money
- The fat tires with excellent traction mean you can handle anything that the trail throws at you - mud, rocks, snow, dirt - all of that will be dealt with easily
- Easy to assemble
- Excellent levels of speed even on hills
- Lots of power and control when braking and shifting gears
- High-quality steel material
- Whilst the steel makes it the most durable model for mountain biking, the downside is that it is much heavier than its aluminum counterparts
Next on our list, as a very worthy second best to our top pick is the High Timber Youth and Adult Mountain Bike by the brand Schwinn.
They are a brand name that kept appearing in our research and have other models on our list too. This one was by far the best of theirs, though.
What we liked about this model is that you can easily transition from the sidewalk to rocky trails without feeling a difference when you’re riding.
The bike frame is super sturdy, made from steel. As well as this, the bike has a mountain-style design to the frame.
There is also the Schwinn suspension fork combine which makes for a durable experience on your bike, ensuring longevity and picking up less damage. It also makes for a more responsive ride, too, whatever your terrain.
In terms of bike specs, the Schwinn High Timber Youth and Adult Mountain Bike has seven speeds on its gears, and boasts the Shimano twist shifters, ensuring each gear change is super smooth.
The Shimano rear derailleurs make sure that as well as being smooth, each gear change is also incredibly precise - no more thumping along the road because of a dodgy gear change!
You still get this precision even on the rockiest of surfaces or steepest of inclines, too.
The Schwinn High Timber Youth and Adult Mountain Bike features front and rear alloy linear-pull brakes, for precision and stopping power. It also has lightweight rims and sturdy tires.
- Many customers have commented on how high-quality the material is - and we have to agree. The aluminum is both durable and light to carry if you want to transport it
- Assembly is easy for this model as most of it is pre-assembled
- The paint job is of a very high finish - glossy and sleek
- Rides smoothly and has excellent braking
- Great for casual riding as well as mountain biking
- Some customers may find the saddle a little uncomfortable
- Some previous buyers have commented on the need to take it to a bike shop to get the brakes fine-tuned
The next bike we wanted to talk about is Huffy Hardtail Mountain Trail Bike. This super lightweight bike has an aluminum hardtail frame which is far lighter than steel.
This makes it the perfect choice for someone who perhaps wants to take their mountain bike away with them or mount it to their vehicle. Because it is so light, it gives great speed and acceleration as it is far easier to pedal.
The bike has a Shimano drivetrain as well as an indexed rear derailleur with a total of 21 speeds, promising ultra-smooth gear shifting that just needs to be activated with your index finger and thumb.
The saddle is also smooth and comfortable - a big consideration to make due to the amount of time spent on our bikes! We need comfortable butts.
It has a front suspension that has an excellent response for whatever terrain you ride on. The tires have excellent grip too, to ensure gravel and dirt will not be an issue.
The brakes are linear pull brakes and they work with the machined alloy rims of the wheels to stop smoothly, rather than in a jerking motion.
- Good quality aluminum for the frame, making it lightweight as well as durable
- Smooth braking to ensure you can do so precisely
- Smooth and comfortable saddle for butt comfort - this is a very important factor, we think!
- Good gear shifting
- Most of the parts come pre-assembled to make your life that little bit easier
- Some customers found the manual a little difficult to understand
This bike is another worthy runner up. It includes dual disc brakes. Disc brakes provide you with enhanced stopping power, ensuring braking is powerful and precise.
The bike also has front suspension, making your ride as smooth as can be and gliding over any bumps with ease. The suspension forks also ensure you have ample control.
Speaking of control, gear changing will be a breeze thanks to the fitted Shimano 24 speed derailleurs.
The frame is super lightweight thanks to being made from aluminum, meaning you can easily take it with you on trips to the mountains for some biking away from home. Pedaling is also comfortable with this model.
- A great starter bike
- Durable aluminum frame that ensures it is lightweight enough to transport
- Two color choices
- It is a good value due to the quality of it for a relatively low price
- Good delivery time
- Some customers have found the saddle to be uncomfortable and have had to replace it
- Customers have said that they took it to a bike shop as they struggled to assemble it
This bike has an excellent handbuilt aluminum frame, ensuring it will be lightweight, but durable for some classic mountain biking.
The tires of this bike are well formed for being able to traverse any terrain, rolling over obstacles effortlessly.
You get 80mm of suspension travel thanks to the SR SunTour XCT fork suspension. It also features a combination of 24 speeds thanks to the front and back gears.
- Good beginners bike as it is lightweight and powerful
- Easy to assemble
- Smooth to ride
- Excellent stopping thanks to the disc brakes
- Some customers have commented on there not being enough room to install a kickstand on there which may pose a problem for those that want one
The tectonic aluminum frame of this Mongoose Switchback Adult Mountain Bike ensures you have both durability and lightweight-ness on your side with every ride.
The Mongoose MTB Saddle promises comfort, even on long rides. As well as this, the tires add to the comfort, ensuring that the bike will glide smoothly over each terrain, keeping you stable on your seat.
The bike has disc brakes for excellent stopping power and precision, even after a long time on the bike.
- Performs well in all terrains
- The lightweight frame makes it easy to transport
- Great, precise stopping power
- Great color and size choices to find a model that suits everyone’s needs
- Some users have found the seat uncomfortable
The Royce Union RTT Mountain Bike is another worthy contender on our list.
It is yet another aluminum-framed bike, which makes it lightweight and sturdy as well as being easier to handle all terrains and trails - just what you want in a mountain bike!
This particular model is a striking tangerine color and is matte, making it stylish as well as powerful. There are 21 speeds and a very smooth trigger powered gear shifting mechanism.
The tires have knobbly treads, giving you an excellent grip on any surface. The brakes are linear pull and connect to machined alloy wheel rims, this enables you to brake smoothly, with excellent stopping power.
- Quick shipping times on this model
- Comfortable saddle
- Excellent traction on the tires
- Assembly is easy
- although most customers agreed assembly was easy to do, others gave stated that a bike shop may be needed to make adjustments, especially if you have no prior experience putting a bike together
- It does not come with a kickstand so that is worth bearing in mind if you want one. You can attach one to it that you can buy separately.
This particular model that we are reviewing is a smaller framed bike, and so it is best suited to those under 5 feet 6.
That being said, the manufacturer gives the options to choose frames to suit all sizes so fear not if you are taller than this.
The bike also comes in a variety of colors, too. The bike has front suspension with an aluminum suspension fork, making it perfect for travailing dirt and gravel paths alike.
The frame is made from lightweight but durable aluminum. The gear shifting is precise and quick thanks to the Shimano EZ-FIRE shifters.
There is also a Shimano Tourney 21 speed drivetrain, giving you a great range of speeds.
The bike has mechanical disc brakes to ensure prompt but powerful stopping. As well as this, the tires ensure that all trails will be handled with stability and control.
- A variety of sizes and colors
- Sturdy material to ensure the longevity of the bike
- Quick assembly
- Good quality materials used to ensure smooth riding
- Delivery times are long
- Some orders arrived damaged due to shipping
The Kent Hawkeye Mountain Bike is the ideal choice for someone who wants a durable but easy to transport model, thanks to its aluminum frame and lightweight wheels.
It has both front and rear derailleurs, as well as having Shimano RapidFire 21 speed shifters. This promises fast and precise gear shifting, even whilst traversing rocky terrains or inclines.
It has crown front suspension, also made from aluminum. As well as this, the bike also offers Shimano 7 speed freewheel.
All of these features can be enjoyed safely with the promise of excellent braking thanks to the front and rear mechanical disc brakes, giving you precision and excellent stopping power.
- Great for traversing the trails
- Quick assembly for pros who may have assembled bikes before
- Excellent specs in a cheap model
- Good beginners or transition bike
- Some customers have been disappointed with the conditions of some of the parts upon delivery as they have arrived damaged
This model features the SR SunTour XCM cable lock suspension fork as well as Shimano BD-M355 Hydraulic Disc Brakes.
This makes the bike perfect for those steep descents, giving you ample control as well as power where it is needed. The bike itself is durable, made from lightweight aluminum for its frame, proving power does not have to be heavy.
It has a comfortable ‘Sport’ saddle, ensuring your butt will be kept as comfortable as possible when riding - hey, it’s an important thing to consider given the amount of time we can be on our bikes!
It comes in two color choices, too - white and red or black and green.
- Great for downhill mountain biking
- Two color choices
- Lightweight frame
- Comfortable saddle
- Some customers said that although assembly was easy for this bike, they had to take it to a bike specialist to adjust some of the parts.
What we liked about this bike is the fact that its frame is made with comfort in mind, but does not let that hinder its performance.
It has dual suspension for extra power and control. The Element suspension fork smoothes any bumps that you may ride over, whilst the 21 speed Shimano rear derailleur ensures all gear changes can be undertaken swiftly and with excellent control.
The alloy wheels have a quick front release and work with the alloy front and rear brakes to ensure safety is paramount, as well as braking being precise.
- Buyers have commented on it being good value for money
- Ensures longevity of the bike due to its high-quality build
- Precise braking to ensure safety
- Can be easily adjusted to suit your needs
- Some taller customer may find the frame a little too small for their height
Last but not least we have the brand new model - 2021 Gravity FSX 27.5 LTD Mountain Bike. This bike, although new, already promises to be a good choice if you want power and durability.
It comes in three frame sizes, meaning you can find the one that is most suited to your height and needs.
The bike has adjustable rear suspension, as well as full-suspension handling. The brakes are disc brakes and are very capable of handling your sudden stops, giving you precise control each time.
It has 21 Speed Drivetrain and promises precise and smooth gear changing, too.
- It has excellent handling
- A brand new model that promises top of the range features
- Available in 3 frame sizes and 3 color choices
- Powerful and durable whilst being lightweight
- Because of how new it is, it does not have the social backing to support its features yet
Hopefully, you can see for yourself the vast amounts of choice you have on your hand for purchasing a mountain bike.
It seems at first that there are not many options out there, and as we said, we would not blame you for thinking that a mountain bike is basically the same no matter the brand or type.
We’re sure you can see now that there are so many different things to consider, and with a bit of research and thought, you will easily be able to find yourself the perfect mountain bike. For a sure-fire choice, we do of course recommend choosing one from our informative list above.
As you can see, there was a clear winner on the list, but all of the runners up are just as worthy.
Don’t just take our word for it though, treat yourself to one of the mountain bike models above, and be blown away by how smooth sailing your mountain bike experience will become.
You will have never felt escapism like it!
We wish you a happy shopping spree, and an even happier biking experience, explorers!